ASAM Continuum Training
ASAM Continuum is a computerized clinical decision support system (CDSS). ASAM Continuum provides the entire treatment team with a computer-guided, standardized interview for assessing patients with substance use disorders and co-occurring conditions. ASAM Continuum aids clinicians in conducting a full biopsychosocial assessment that addresses all six dimensions of The ASAM Criteria. The decision engine uses research-quality questions, including tools such as the ASI (Addiction Severity Index), CIWA (Clinical Institute Withdrawal Assessment) and CINA (Clinical Institute Narcotic Assessment) instruments to generate a comprehensive patient report which includes a recommended level of care determination.
With ASAM Continuum, clinicians can easily:
- Conduct a comprehensive biopsychosocial patient risk and needs assessment along all six ASAM Criteria Dimensions
- Determine the ASAM Criteria Level of Care recommendation, including continued stay and transfer recommendations
- Obtain ASI Severity Subscale Composite Scores: Medical, Alcohol, Drug, Psychological, Employment, Family/Social and Legal
- Complete CIWA and CINA assessments for withdrawal
- Speed up and successfully obtain managed care prior authorizations
- See the ROI: better for patients, better for providers
The on-demand product includes: Self-Paced Module: Introduction to the ASAM Criteria and the ASAM Continuum for Michigan Providers. Recording of a live training that includes:
- Presentation: ASAM Continuum Navigation and Best Practices
- Demo: Patient interview with the ASAM Continuum
- General Information Section
- Medical Section
- Psychological Section
- Interview Completion Section
- If you are signing up for an ASAM course for the first time, you will have to create an account. To create an account, follow this link: Login (asam.org). Make sure you scroll to the bottom of the page and review the instructions before you begin creating an account. If you run into any problems, please contact 301.656.3920 or email@example.com.
- To register to the ASAM Continuum course, please follow this link: ASAM eLearning: ASAM CONTINUUM Course – Michigan – On-Demand. If you run into any problems, consult the FAQ page here: ASAM eLearning: FAQs or contact 301.656.3920 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After creating an account and registering to the course, go to the course page: ASAM eLearning: ASAM CONTINUUM Course – Michigan – On-Demand.
- Click on the “contents” tab to complete the self-paced module and/or watch the recordings. Please make sure you complete the modules on a laptop or a desktop. If you are using a phone or a table, the system may not register your progress and your status will be marked as “incomplete.”
- Click on the “resources” tab to view slides and handouts.
- A downloadable certificate of completion will become available after you complete module 1 and modules 2. Please note that when completing the modules, you must complete all the sections, interactions and knowledge checks. If you miss something, the system will log your progress as “incomplete” and you may need to go back into the module and make sure you completed all the required activities.