Service Numbers

Main Line: 800-676-0423
Customer Service: 800-890-3712
Compliance Hotline: 800-783-0914
Substance Use Treatment Access: 800-781-0353

Veteran Navigator: 269-488-6853

SWMBH Commons – Partners

Nondiscriminatory Statement

                        Give Us a Call!

How to File a Complaint

Recipient Rights Complaints

Southwest Michigan Behavioral Health is committed to providing you the best service based upon your needs, regardless of cost or benefit coverage. As a customer, you have certain rights and responsibilities. It is important that you understand them. For information on your mental health rights, please see Your Rights When Receiving Mental Health Services in Michigan.

For Substance Use Services, you can find information about your rights in the Recipient Rights Brochure found on the following website. You can file a Recipient Rights complaint if you think staff has violated one of the listed rights. You can make a rights complaint verbally or in writing. For Substance Use, each provider has a Recipient Rights Advisor on staff. You can contact your provider to understand your rights or to file a rights complaint.

For Mental Health Rights, you may call your county mental health agency and ask to talk with a Recipient Rights Officer. They can explain your rights and help you file a complaint.

Compliance Complaints

We also have staff who work to make sure we follow the rules for privacy and compliance. Compliance can include issues such as providers billing for services they did not give, or providing services that are not needed. It can include waste or abuse of agency resources. It also includes when someone lies about their eligibility or loans their Medicaid card to others. At Southwest Michigan Behavioral Health (SWMBH), we seek to encourage honesty, integrity, and good ethics with all our provider agencies.

You can call the agency where you get services and ask for their Compliance department to report concerns. For SWMBH’s Compliance Hotline, call 1-800-783-0914.

Grievances and Appeals

If you have a concern about your services, staff, or provider agency, you can call Customer Service to file a complaint (grievance). If your services have changed and you disagree with the decision, you can file an appeal to have the decision reviewed. You can file grievances and appeals directly with Customer Service.

You can call your county mental health agency and ask for Customer Service. If you are not sure who your customer service staff is, please call us at 1-800-890-3712. We can connect your call directly to your local Customer Service office. To name someone to act for you in a Grievance or Appeal, please complete an Authorized Representative form.

The team at SWMBH is ready to help you with your goals and dreams. We are available to answer your questions and concerns. We are here to make sure that you get the services and support that you need. Our customer service staff are here to help you as you make your way through recovery.

You can get more information on the complaint processes in our Customer Handbooks located on our Member Documents page. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. You can also reach us by email at


For the SWMBH Main Line, call
For the SWMBH Compliance Hotline, call
For SWMBH Customer Service, call
For SWMBH Substance Use Treatment Access, call
For SWMBH Veteran Navigator